
So... I just wanted to start out saying how much I love my house. Sure, its not the newest thing on the market and it WAS built in 1989, which unfortunalty has some left over 80's goodies for us to contend with (best one- seashell shaped sinks, always a pleasure). But it is OUR HOME, and we fell in love with it the minute we saw it. It is our greatest investment and our greatest challenge. There is honestly no place I would rather be.
We have done alot of updating in this little baby. We were blessed to have a newer kitchen in it as well as a sweet masterbathroom with a soaking tub and seperate shower. There were many pluses to this house that we did not have to worry about. But there is ONE ASPECT... one thing about this house that is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL...
THE FLOORING!
Carpet, carpet, carpet...... EVERYWHERE. And it is in no means new, I can tell you that. All the carpet in the house is original. First off, there was carpet in the laundry room. That has been taken out (last fall 2007) and my wonderful dad put in vinyl stick tiles (looks nice and very inexpensive). THEN, we had carpet in the Master Bathroom (YES BATHROOM PEOPLE), which eventually caused a carpet ant infestation. That luckily was taken care of this past August, thanks to my dad again, who installed ceramic tile (and looks fabulous). Now the guest bathroom upstairs has nasty *ss laminate in it... its not even nice looking laminate, its all marked up and is coming up at the ends. So thankfully my dad will be replacing that is ceramic tile that we have left over from master bathroom (probably will be done this winter yet).
But the worse, the absolutly WORSE is the dark, stained, burbur carpet in the kitchen/dining/living room area. So bad, so bad. I tried to shampoo it a couple times to get it to actually be the color it supposed to be, but nothing works. It is so stained that nothing will lift out the dirt. There was a rug put down in the kitchen when we moved in, I just swept over it, then one day I lifted it up and to my surprise that carpet was about 20 shades lighter than the other carpet. I about died.
Anyways, its bad. No way would I EVER let my child (when I have one that is), crawl or roll around on that carpet. That is how bad it is. I can't even walk on it barefoot, it grosses me out.
So to get to the point of the story, we have (BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT EVER) decided to finally replace that carpet with a nice Pergo laminate floor! TA DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) Me so happy!
Sample is shown in the picture. It is called Pergo Pestige Harvest Chestnut. We didn't want to go too light, cause it doesn't match our decor. But we didn't want to go too dark, cause we have low ceilings and our house is dark anyways (80s=very little ceiling lights). Ryan liked that one the best also.
So we are super excited to finally get rid of this carpet. We plan to have this installed professionally, since this is our main living area and we just want it done asap and get everything moved back in. Other rooms we want to get carpet taken out is the two guest rooms, the computer room and the big dining room. We plan on doing those ourselves (with the help of our dear friends Jill and Steve), to save some money. Plus the other rooms are alot smaller. This area we are having done is about 500 sq/ft.
So, that is my happy news for today. I told Ryan this is the best Christmas gift ever! LOL Granted, it won't be cheap, but boy will it be an improvement and truley something we are thankful for. I will post pics when it is all done. The guy is coming out tomorrow to measure... should be done around the end of November, beginning of December! YAY! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment